Sheffield as a Student City
Known as Britain’s ‘green city’, one third of Sheffield lies within the Peak District National Park, and has a wide selection of free parks, including Peace Gardens, Botanical Gardens and Weston Park. Good news for when summer arrives and you’re looking for a different environment to revise in, or just feel like chilling out with friends.
Unlike so many UK cities, several of Sheffield’s main attractions are within walking distance of each other. The city centre and train station are located closely to the majority of Hallam accommodation and for those living elsewhere, just a short bus ride away, (single fares are just 60p with a student card).
The main shopping areas in the city centre are on The Moor precinct, which offers a barrage of amazing budget shops, Fargate, Orchard Square and the Devonshire Quarter. Here, you can find department stores, John Lewis and Debenhams, as well as many of the well-known high street stores (many offer student discount so keep your card handy!) Castle Market is also located in the city centre, providing a range of fresh meat, fruit and vegetables. Alternatively, you can take the tram from the city centre up to Meadowhall, the shopping centre.
If shopping isn’t for you, several spots in the city offer a range of other activities, including Sheffield’s theatres, the Lyceum and the Crucible. Don Valley is home to several bars and restaurants, a bowling alley, and the largest Cineworld complex in the UK. Leopold Square also offers a great selection of restaurants, including Strada, Wagamamas and Indian restaurant, Aagrah.
Football fans may already be aware that Sheffield is home to the world’s first-ever official football club, Sheffield F.C, as well as Sheffield Wednesday F.C. If you like watching live games, tickets are fairly accessible and cheap. Sheffield Wednesday’s ground in Hillsborough often hosts Varsity events (and on the odd occasion, University exams!).
In terms of nightlife, students certainly aren’t limited for choice. A favourite for students looking for a cheap night is Corporation on a Wednesday, where entry is only £1 if you wear school uniform. Alternatively, Leadmill is a good night if you like a bit of variety, with both chart and indie rooms. Leadmill also plays host to a number of music gigs throughout the year and definitely worth a visit to if you enjoy live bands.
Sheffield Student Accommodation
Sheffield is a student-friendly city, with a range of accommodation situated nearby to both universities at a range of prices.
AFS users ranked Sheffield 20th the UK, with an overall score of 62%. Sheffield scored particularly highly for transport, which is most likely a result of the cheap student bus fare (60p single with valid student card) and efficient tram system.
University accommodation is offered at a range of prices, with the average room rental standing at £65.57 in 2012 (below the national average of £68.70). In comparison to other student cities surveyed in this year, Sheffield is at the lower end of the scale, scoring significantly lower than Manchester, Leeds and the majority of Southern cities.
Areas in Sheffield which score particularly highly for student satisfaction include West Street (86%). the city centre (74%) and Ecclesall Road (72%). Despite being further from the city centre, the average rent per week for Ecclesall Road properties is £71 per week, although is situated in a convenient location for Sheffield Hallam students. Surprisingly, the average weekly rent for city centre and West Street properties is £69 and £68 respectively. Maximum rent for city centre properties is £95 per week, suggesting there is a wider price bracket for this area to suit are a wide different budgets.
Sheffield has a wide selection of private halls available to rent, which again are diversely priced. In particular, CRM Students’ Park Student Village is located centrally, a 10 minute walk from Sheffield Hallam University and the city centre and a 10 minute tram ride from Sheffield University. Situated in a fantastic location and ideal for all students, properties are priced from £66 per week (including bills). Study Inn student halls are located in The Moor precinct within a 5 minute walk from the city centre in the heart of shops, restaurants and bars. Finally for a wide selection of halls try Unite students, who have accommodation in a range of areas, many of which are close to the city centre and in particular the Sheffield Hallam campus.
Saving Money in Sheffield
Students know better than anyone how difficult it is to prioritise spending, but with rising fees and accommodation costs, saving money can be a challenge. If you’re a student in Sheffield and finding it hard to budget, here are a few of the best discounts available to students.
Restaurant and Bar Discounts
- Simply Fish & Chips offers a 10% student discount: 14 Union Street, Sheffield, S1 2JP
- Sakushi offers a range of Japanese cuisine, with 30% off on Monday for Sakushi card holders: 21 Campo Lane, Sheffield, S1 2EG
- Indian restaurant, Everest, offers 15% student discount (excluding Fridays and Saturdays): 55-61 Chesterfield Road, Sheffield, S8 ORL
- Radhuni is another authentic Indian restaurant in Sheffield, offering a 20% student discount: 186 London Road, Sheffield, S2 4LT
- Caribbean Avenue offers both eat-in and takeaway options, with 10% student discount and all meals £4 on student Wednesdays (12pm close): 53 Chesterfield Road, Sheffield, S8 ORL
- Yankees Diner are home to Sheffield’s best burgers and offer a 10% discount to all students, as well as some great midweek offers, including half price pizzas on Tuesdays and half price starters and desserts on Thursdays: 418 Ecclesall Road, Sheffield, S11 8PJ
- Chiquito Mexican restaurant offers 25% student discount when you register on their website, as well as a range of other discounts when you sign up such as £10 off your bill, a free cocktail and free starter or dessert: Valley Centertainment, Broughton Lane, Sheffield, S9 2EP
Health and Beauty Discounts
- The Hair Band offer students 50% off their first cut and style, 30% off your second cut and style, 20% off thereafter: 625 Ecclesall Road, Sheffield, S11 8PT
- K2 Hair Work are offering students ½ price cut and colour: 479 Ecclesall Rd, Sheffield, S11 8PP
- David Inman Opticians offer free lenses when you buy any glasses and 10% off an eye test: 265 Fulwood Road Sheffield, S10 3BD
- Top nails salon offers services such as lash extensions, threading and semi-permanent makeup with s 10% student discount: 288 Ecclesall Road, Sheffield, S11 8PE
- Ruby’s nails and beauty is a mobile beauty service travelling to any student accommodation in Sheffield. Ruby’s long list of services include nail extensions, spray tanning and waxing, and she offers a 20% student discount. Link: Rubys Tanning
- Serenity offer a range of holistic therapies to help you deal with the stress of student life and offer a 10% discount: 80-82 Infirmary Road, Sheffield, S6 3DD
- Cross Roads Driving are offering the first five driving lessons for £50 (after that £20 per hour) Link: Cross Roads Driving
- Sheffield Martial Arts Academy offers classes in Hillsborough and Ecclesall to males and females of all levels. They offer a 20% student discount and the 1st lesson free: Ground Floor, The Nichols Building, Shalesmoor, Sheffield, S3 8UL
- Owlerton Stadium offers a cheap night for students at the dog tracks. Fast Track Tuesdays are on the third Tuesday of every month and provide admission, 3 drinks, a bet and fries for just £5: Penistone Road, Sheffield, S6 2DE
- Gym Plus, located in student village, Crookes offers a student membership of £22.99 per month or 6 months for £112: Gym Plus, Weston View, Crookes, S10 5BZ
- Good Vibrations Tattoo offers tattoo, body piercing, beauty services and laser tattoo removal with a 10% student discount: 233 Crookes, Sheffield, S10 1TE
*Prices are correct at the time of publishing this blog entry