Cooking your own meals from scratch and baking your own deserts can save you lots of money. We’ll be sharing money-saving recipes with you every couple of weeks, to inspire you to save pennies in the kitchen! And you never know, you might become quite the chef!
Making quick and easy deserts is a favourite of mine. Before I learned any simple tricks I would find myself traipsing over to our local shop several late evenings a week, just because I fancied something sweet to eat after dinner or whilst watching a movie.
But did you know that you can bake delicious vanilla muffins using just 2 ingredients? Neither did I, until recently. Now it’s cheaper and easier to whip up some sweet treats in no time.
Here’s what you’ll need to make 12 vanilla muffins:
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 250g self-raising flour
- Preheat your oven to 220°C. Grease 12 muffin cups, or line the tray with paper muffin liners.
- Mix self-rising flour and vanilla ice cream together until smooth. Spoon batter into the muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes (until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean).
- Cool in the muffin cases for 10 minutes, before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
And then there’s my long-term favourite; the cake-in-a-cup! This little beauty takes just 3 minutes to make in the microwave, and uses ingredients that you’re likely to have left-over in your cupboards. I heard about this through a friend and then stumbled across variations of it online. Below is my personal recipe. Warning: very rich!
Here’s what you’ll need to make 1 chocolate cake-in-a-cup:
- 4 tbs plain flour
- 4 tbs caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs oil
- 3 tbs milk
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- Mix all of the ingredients together and then put them into a cup.
- Microwave for 3 minutes.
- Serve with custard.
Latest posts by Jenny Marsh (see all)
- Student Car Owners: Earn Some Cash - 12/11/2013
- Nottingham – Top Chinese Restaurants for Students - 27/07/2013
- Nottingham – Top Vegetarian Restaurants for Students - 17/07/2013